So I logged onto Facebook for the first time in a year or two and it recommends three people:
- My dad again
- Someone I briefly knew at a different school, and not the last person.
- A third person who I don't know but is someone who Facebook could reasonably have found through my friends network. The first two suggestions are not.
A possible explanation: the second person got me to join some other social network whose name I have forgotten. It's possible that I might have used the same email to join both and that Facebook bought and merged their database.
Another possibility is that I may have searched Facebook for the names of these acquaintances years ago and Facebook stored the search requests to datamine later. However, I don't see why I would have searched for this person if I knew that they used a different social network.
Earlier posts on this subject:
- Facebook recommends a co-worker with no apparent connections
- Facebook recommends my dad -- when I'm using a fake name
- Facebook recommends an organization that spammed my email account
- Facebook gives me its French version after I read Le Monde
- Facebook recommends pages for interests that I removed from my personal information
- Facebook recommends my dad -- when he's using a fake name
- Facebook recommends an old school acquaintance shortly after her account got hijacked by spammers
- Facebook recommends a website that I was reading the night before
- Facebook might be recording words spoken near your cell phone